View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Tolelady53

I have the Pennywinkle Sunshine 16, and really like it. I have mine on one of their older (2004) model frames. I was using a Brother 1500 on the frame and only had about 6-8" quilting space. The 16 can be bought with a new frame compatible to its neck length, but I opted to put it on my older frame. I did not want to go to the hassel of getting rid of the old frame and moving in another. With the 16 on the older frame I get about 10" quilting space which is quite adequate for me.

I got the machine in Dec. of last year and only got to play with it awhile before I had surgery this year. However, once I got up and running I have really put it through it's paces.

Pennywinkle does not have a "formal" training program, but I have just put scads of muslin on the machine and practiced. Watch some of the videos on You Tube or get some of the pros videos and just practice, practice, practice.

One of the things I would caution you is that tension setting is tricky. Don't be afraid to "turn" the dials and play with the tension til you learn it. Also my machine is set up in an older building and environmental issues (dry atmosphere that let's static build up) bothered me until I came across the Magic Bobbin Washers. They are teflon washers that go in the bobbin case (use the case without the spring) and won't let the static build up on the bobbin as it turns. Without the washer when the static releases as you quilt it makes "bird's nests" on the bottom of the quilt. They work for me. You can get them several places on the internet.

The makers of the machine are great people to work with and I recommend the machine highly.