View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM
kateyb

I just remembered another scrappy quilt that I liked the result. I had a lot of blue scraps.
Using 8 1/2 x 11" paper. Draw a line from left upper corner to right bottom corner on half the sheets on the other half of the sheets draw a line from upper right to bottom left. These are guidelines.
Then starting in the middle of the sheet place a dark fabric, then on each side of it do a lighter shade. Continue doing a lighter shade as you go on each side.
When you get to the last corner on each end again put in a dark fabric.
The strips don't have to be perfectly centered and I use all those strips that were cut off the fabrics to make straight edges. (You know the pieces that are 2" on one end and 3/4" on the other) Because the paper keeps it stabilized you don't need to worry about the bias sides.
These rectangles will make a x's and o's pattern when put together.
Remove the paper after you have sewn the blocks together. The easiest method of removing the paper for me is to run the handle end of a steel crochet hook (or something similar) along the stitching line with the paper on an old mouse pad.
You don't have to worry about matching corners, etc. It makes a very attractive quilt.