View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Caryn

how much is a handmade homemade quilt worth? that depends.i have made some that i would not show to a soul and i have made some that are show quality and something to be proud of. what those who want quilts made for them do not realize is the cost of labor, time, and product that goes into the making of a quilt. especially if the quilt is a one of a kind (as most are). personally, i keep track of the fabric, thread, needles, and the cost of anything else i may use like fuseables, batting, etc... then i figure up the per sq. inch (psi) and multiply that by whatever i am going to charge such as 3 cents psi. add that total to the cost of everything else and you should have a ball park figure of what you might consider charging.. a quilt is a piece of art-no less than a canvas painted by vangogh or monet. i sell some of my quilts privately as well as at an art and craft mall...private sales for me is when a person likes what they see and buys it without question. at the art/crafts mall, i see people look at my quilts and make snide comments about going to sears or pennys or belk for better prices. so what! that quilt from the shopping mall and department store is not likely to last more than ten years and it will look like thousands of others made in china, india, and mexico.