View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Rettie V. Grama

This is a recipe that I use for a complete crockpot meal with the exception of a salad, very filling and good for you. Note that I use different type of meat and beans in the making:

Black eyed Peas or Bean Stew

Ingredients
1 cup butter
2 onions, sliced into thin slivers
3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
(May also use turkey, chicken ,ham or a combination of 2 or more)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, sliced, or to taste
3 (16 ounce) packages frozen black-eyed peas
(may substitute any kind of dried beans)

To give this stew a little heat add some Lousiana Hot Sauce. With Black Eyed Peas, a good luck dish for the New Year.
Directions
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir the onions in the melted butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the juices have cooked away, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and peas; pour in enough water to cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat until the peas change color and are tender and hot, and almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour.

Nutritional Information 

Originally Posted by ksjohn
I have a friend who is a single father to a 2 and 3 year old. He works from 9am to 5pm and when he gets home he is just so tired. Anyone have any crockpot recipes or quick meal recipes ? I stop in to visit a few times a week and have noticed they have had Mac n cheese and hotdogs. He is a 200+ pound man I dont think he is going to be as happy as the kids eating the same thing several times a week...lol..I bought him a crockpot for christmas and he thought it was the best thing since buttered toast...lol..i have a few recipes scaled down for him ...anyone willing to help out? Thank You