Thread: Childhood Games
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Marge L.

Originally Posted by jkwynn
We used to catch "lightning bugs" which is what we called fireflies. I was just asking why we never see those anymore.

We also played jacks, red rover, colored easter eggs, etc. outside allllll day long.

There's NO WAY I'd let my kids run the neighborhood today like we did, back then. It's a different world. Now we go to the Y and have play dates at the park, and such.

Speaking of fireflies, there are so few of them any more. I'm wondering if the use of so many pesticides and other chemicals isn't the reason. Just as we use to see birds in droves following the plow as the farmers plowed the fields in the spring. They were after all the earthworms. Now days they are gone because of all the chemicals used instead of good old fashion rotation of crops. Also, few fields are even plowed now days because of no-till. I'm positive most of you city people have no idea what I'm talking about, but the country people do. I'm not a farm girl myself, but most of my relatives were farmers and I lived in rural areas all my life. Sorry for ranting. Guess I felt I had to impart a bit of knowledge where it fit in. Marge