Thread: Childhood Games
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
fleurdelisquilts.com

Our version of Ghost in the Graveyard was very much like tag. Everything in the yard was a grave. We'd hide behind the graves while the ghost counted. Then the ghost came looking for us. You had to stay behind the grave till the ghost called your name, then run like lightning back to base (the front porch steps). If the ghost caught you, you were the ghost next round. It's kinda scary running with a ghost chasing you when you can't see shrubs or holes or things that might take out your legs. I could run fast but was afraid there'd be a real ghost (yeah, I know) or that I'd fall on my face, which happened more than once. One time my sister ran into some holly bushes with stickers. She howled like a real ghost had caught her. I'm laughing to think of it, but at the time I had hidden far from the porch and couldn't see what was happening. I probably had an accident on myself.

By the way, that would have been #1, we were never allowed to say pee or poo (#2). (What a slap that would have been.) I was probably 12 before I heard the s-word the first time. I can hear momma, "Little ladies never say those words." (underline never)