Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Have a question about a vintage Japanese machine. The spool holder lies flat for storage and stands up for the spool when sewing. Someone, not me, lost the pin (a cotter, perhaps?) which should be there and jury-rigged it with some type of bristly wire. The wire hurts fingers/hands/whatever part of body it comes in contact with and I've been wondering: Can I replace the old jury-rig with my own? I would use some heavier jewelry wire which I can cadge from older DD who makes jewelry. That at least won't be bristly and I think it would work. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm wide open to suggestions but the spool holder has to be able to move to lay flattish for storage in the cabinet. Thanks in advance. :D
I use a spool holder or a coffee mug for the spools that do not fit or stay right on my spool holder. Purplefiend has a very pretty spool holder in one of her photos. I have seen a youtube video of gals (somewhere in Asia ?) using Singer treadles and the spool holder was place off to their right front side (of the machine) so that the thread wouldn't get caught in the wheel while in use. May be Billy has a pin to sell you.