View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM
omak

Originally Posted by BusyB
The parallelogram goes on the ends of the pink/green/pink three-sies originally made in step 1. Then I guess we save those for the border...

My problem is with those dratted string blocks... I just can't finish them. I have discovered that, although they look fantastic, I really don't like making them. Sigh. Only 30 more to go.

But the finished product will be so worth it! This is my first mystery quilt, and I sure picked a winner!
I have noticed a lot of complaints about the string blocks. I would like to have some feedback on what exactly you don't like working with them?
If I were you, I would take those thirty, stitch the first two strips on the first block, then two on the next one, two on the third one, cut the first one loose, add a strip ... and add the next new sheet ...
it is called production sewing, takes the agony of selecting a different strip for a block away by spreading one strip throughout a number of blocks.
the other thing I do while production block stripping is to join the end pieces together until they are long enough to stuff on another block.
For example, one WOF strip will work for about three starting diagonals ... so, cut off the excess part, set it aside until you get the next part cut off. Stitch them together if they are the same width in between one of the other blocks.
does anything I type make the process a bit more interesting? <wave>