Thread: Lighting
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM
bleighw

I have about 650 sq ft. of sewing and quilting space. It has 7 eyeball recessed lights from the 70's that I have placed GE Reveal bulbs in. I recently got a LA and found I needed more light, especially in that area. I put in a "T" shaped track with 8 fixtures. I love the track! You can aim the bulbs criss-crossing around the room and the coverage is incredible.

The problem at the present is that the energy consumption of incandescent bulbs and halogens are quite high for the light output. The heat output is equal at the same wattage. However, the shape and focus makes the halogens seem hotter.

My DH and I have tried about 7 different CFL's with varying satisfaction. The "coil only" versions are difficult to look at, very bright. The flood style with the coil enclosed is more diffused and easier on the eyes, but pricier! Color, light output, and watts are all important factors. Rating systems exist for all of these issues, but it takes a lot to sort it out.

BTW, it is getting very difficult to find the "Edison" screw-in fixtures and lamps as the energy conservation becomes more of a priority.

In my area, Salt Lake, the Lowes and Home Depot are carrying a different mix of bulbs. It pays to look at each.

I love my Ott's and think they are the best for localized task lighting.

Good luck! Get what you really like. It makes a big difference in how your space feels.