Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM
mpspeedy

Like most of you I am my own worst critic. I have been at this since 1966. I had been quilting for at least ten years before I saw other people's work and was blown away. I had the nerve to enter a quilt in the Great American Quilt Contest that was held in New York to celebrate the anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. My husband took me to see the show when it was hung. I walked around with my mouth hanging open. I had never imagined such work actually existed.
I still don't like piecing and my points etc don't always match. I keep telling myself that fabric is not a stable medium. My husband is a machinist and he says even metal swells and contracts. I don't have a lot of UFOs because I rarely start something I don't finish. My favorite part is the actual quilting, usually by hand. I have taught myself to do the other parts with a lot of help from lectures and a few workshops. I usually manage to make about 6 or 7 Linus quilts a month usually by machine or by crocheting edges on fleece throws etc. I spent yesterday afternoon packing up 12 wallhanging I made for members of my family that I will see tomorrow. They are all done by machine including the embroidery. I do some garment sewing from scratch but mostly altering my husband's pants etc. or mending things. I am currently handquilting the raffle quilt for this year's Linus Chapter raffle. I have done one for them the last two years. Someone else provides the top. In the long run we really only have to please ourselves. I get pleasure and satisfaction out of creating something from the fabrics I love to see, touch and work with.