View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I do have a half a smile on my face. I went back and it is a mite bit better...but a question...the stitching on the back..looks loopy not tight...what would that be?
get the practice sandwiches out & practice before you ever touch the real quilt again. these are so important. I have FMQ for years & still do 18" practice piece. you need your foot speed to match the hand speed. if you swoop fast around a curve,you will have big stitches. loopys on the back generally mean too loose top tension--generally. test your tension with some straight lines. use the same batting in your test pieces as the quilt is. it works best to have the same quality thread on top & bottom, new needle of the right size for your thread (14 or 16 needle w/50 wt cotton thread for me). practice with 2 colors of thread so you can see easily if the tension is off. some machines just do not do well with FMQ. last of all, if you are tense, your quilting will feel it. try when you are relaxed & free. not when you have to pick up kids in15, fix supper in 20,etc. Good luck ! Keep trying. I remember how blue the air sometimes was around my sewing area.