View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
rivka
Banned

I've just started building my stash recently. There's a discount fabric store not too far from where I live that is basically fabric heaven. They have a ton of designer fabrics for between $4 - $9, and when I'm working on a specific project, I look at those.

But on one side of the building are these big wooden bins, FILLED with stacks of folded fabric, all selling for $1.98 a yard. I'd say 95-98% of it is ugly and cheap, but if you spend a lot of time poking around in it, you can find some really nice stuff; sometimes it's even the same stuff that is over in the $4 - $9 area; it's just not on a bolt. I spent $100 yesterday, and it was a lot of fun :) I have certain criteria that I work off of when searching through the bins:

- I stick with mostly single-color based fabric, i.e. ones that predominantly give off the feel of one color, such as light green flowers on a darker green base. My theory is that those fabrics will continue to be usable for a long time (i.e. not feel dated in a few years), and will also generally be easier to use in quilts.

- small prints only. This is my personal preference, but again, I think they're less likely to feel dated in a few years, and will always be usable.

- quality of the cotton. Has to be good to the touch and not feel too thin or cheap.

- I occasionally break my rules and will buy something that has a large print or multiple colors, but it has to be something really special.

My husband and I are currently reworking our bonus room, which is my quilting room, and also his gaming room. We'll be putting bookshelves across an entire wall, so I will have plenty of room for my stash!

Oh, incidentally, the fabric store for anyone living in Southern California: M&L Fabrics in Anaheim. Worth taking a look at when you've got some time!