Thread: Grace Frame
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
tjradj

I have an original Inspira frame. I used my DSM on it before I got my Janome Horizon.
Practicing with my home sewing machine first was a good way to get the feel of frame quilting even though the throat space was only 6"
Now that I have the 11" Horizon on it - I love it! I can do patterns up to 8" even to the end of the quilt.
I do tend to do my borders after I've taken it off the frame, but I do things a bit differently.
I like to do my bindings before the final quilting of the borders. I find that the borders don't stretch out when I do this , and my main reason is I really don't like the look when a border design gets chopped off by the binding, so I quilt that last and make it fit without hitting the binding.
I have also added my borders after quilting the middle.
I quilt the main portion of the quilt being careful not to go off the edge of the top piece and onto the remaining batting and back. Then I take it off the frame and add my borders in the sew and flip method, so the seam acts as stitch in the ditch quilting for the border.This way my Stitch in the ditch is really invisible, and it's straight!