Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by Jill
I am craving sweets, too, but avoided them today. I think if I just get through a couple of weeks without them I'll be ok, but the temptation right now is driving me nuts!
It took me about 30 days or so to get past the cravings. I just kept telling myself it's not good for you. Now everyonce in a while I get a craving but it passes quickly. You can do it too. If it gets real bad have a piece of dark chocolate because it's better for you. Hang in there.
One of the best tips about avoiding cravings came from a friend of mine who lost 60lbs... she said that when ever she was tempted, or say... went to a restaurant or a friends house where food was served. She'd get cravings... so she thought to herself that 'I already know that that tastes like, I've had it before... it's nothing new or special....'. After a time, it got to be a habit for her, and she found herself thinking 'so what?' when offered an ice cream or whatever.

I tried her concept... on ice cream! And let me tell you that it works. It does. Really. My husband and his family are all skinny as rails... and they eat a dish of ice cream EVERY night after dinner. (I kid you not). So I just started telling myself that 'it was nothing I hadn't ever tasted before, that it was the same as the others and no great thing' etc. After a while, I've come to not even THINK about it while they're all chowing. Been able to do the same thing with CHOCOLATE too!