View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Jo Belmont

Probably the best I've ever heard about the perspective on sergers is that "a serger is like the microwave of sewing machines." Just like your micro, you haven't put your regular oven out of commission; they get used for different purposes.

Personally, I don't like a visible serged seam, just looks a bit unfinished or hurried-up to me, but they are invaluable for all manner of straight seams, regular hemming, and rolled-edge hemming of finer fabrics. Log cabin blocks, strips and the like are done lightening fast!

I do quilting as well as household and apparel sewing. I thought for the longest time that I did not need a serger, but now that I have one, I wish only that I had got it years ago. I immediately forced myself to thoroughly learn how to thread and re-thread it. I purposely changed colors and did it over and over. Threading is no longer an anxiety for me any more than changing thread on my regular machines. (I have a Brother 1326.)

Just avail yourself of a lot of online freebie info for sergers and possibly invest in one book that's heavy on instruction and light on patterns. Items that are entirely serger constructed are IMO not quite up to snuff. Quite the same as that very few meals are which are prepared entirely with the microwave (start to finish; not warmed over).

I'd heartily recommend having a serger.