Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
grandma Janice

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
Yes, the Post Office does really deliver in the snow.. but, its not the PO that does, its the letter carrier, who sacrifices so much in the cold, the wet, the dangerous, and most often times, unshoveled sidewalks, just to get us those special packages, or squishies! For 33 years, the man I married, delivered mail to our town, and in those 33 years, he missed ONLY 4 days of actual work due to sickness, or injury. Yep, you heard it.. He was bitten many times by dogs, ( and one cat ), he suffered deep injury to an ankle, when someones porch stair, covered with built up snow piles, decided to cave in, basically trapping his foot because he could not move.. He was unable to deliver mail for weeks due to that injury, yet, on crutches, in walking boot, rehab ect, he went to work to sit behind a dreaded desk, answering phone calls, doing hate paperwork.. Yet he never missed work in that incident. He really did deliver in our often times, below zero weather, and 2 or more feet of snow.. " Yes, Virginia, there is a hero " lol..
I know, mine delivered for 30 years, on foot much of it. He fell on some icy steps after a snow and cracked 3 ribs. he was off for a while. In Northern Kansas, there was lots of snow.