Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Diamondrose

Originally Posted by Diamondrose
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Diamondrose
When I was picking up my Standard treadle I saw a Wheeler & Wilson treadle that caught my eye for a couple reasons. The spool holder is an inverted u shape in the middle of the machine, also the pressed wood detail on the top, which is in great shape considering the age. The warranty from when the machine was originally bought is there and dated 1895.
And it works. No manual though, which I usually like to have to refer to in my old age. Any thoughts pro or con would be greatly appreciated.
Diamondrose, I have two Wheeler & Wilson machines. One is posted on page 419, it is from 1887, and it is an authentic W&W - the other one is posted on page 265. It is a Singer 9W from 1910, which is really a W & W that Singer made after they took over the W&W factory. I love those W&W, but they take a special obsolete needle 127x1 or Boye 18 that you can sometimes find on E-bay-- also, the wheel goes away from instead of towards you. They are great machines! ISMACS or Needlebar have manuals you can download for free.

Nancy
Thanks so much for the information, you have been very helpful. The wheel goes away from me in the new to me Standard so that isn't a problem, it was a little confusing at first after years of just the opposite. As I remember it, the W & W machine itself looks more like the model at the top of page 419 than either of yours. IT has an embossed Wheeler and Wilson seal on it also. Will definitely check out the other sites and see what information I can find on it.
I found out that I can get needles for the W & W locally. It is on my wish list for the time being.