View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 02:25 PM
azwendyg

Since we've been chatting about posting some Works-In-Progress, rather than just finished quilts, I decided to post my first contribution to the effort.

I've started working on a Dresden Plate/Aster quilt. For the large queensize quilt I'm planning, it's going to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 pieces or so total (the most I've attempted in a quilt to-date).

I think I'll use 64 "plates" with 16 wedges in each, but will decide for sure after I have that many blocks done and can start messing around with placement. Each plate/block will be made up of a combination of 4 fabrics, and I am making sets of 4 matching blocks. I haven't chosen the fabric for the plate centers yet. I have some off-white fabric on order that will probably be the "background", and I will try a machine-applique test block to decide whether I like it well enough, or whether I'll need to slipstich the blocks to the background by hand. I haven't decided what to do with borders yet either.

I first saw the tutorial and template on the Missouri Star Quilt Co. site here: http://www.youtube.com/v/lcy_p4pryE4?autoplay=1

The template I used is this one from Marti Michell: http://www.frommarti.com/dresden.shtml
I bought it at our LQS.

I don't expect to finish this quilt any time soon, but I'll keep y'all updated with my progress from time to time.

Enjoy...

First, there's lots of cutting...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156813[/ATTACH]

Then a bit of sewing...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156814[/ATTACH]

Then each wedge needs to be trimmed, turned and pressed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156819[/ATTACH]

and here are a few completed plates on the design wall (still need center fabric)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156820[/ATTACH]

And here's the block I used for the demo pics this afternoon
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156852[/ATTACH]

Wedges for 4 blocks; I sew them in a continuous "string", then cut apart.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156853[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156808.jpe   attachment-156809.jpe   attachment-156814.jpe   attachment-156815.jpe   attachment-156847.jpe  

attachment-156848.jpe