View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM
lclang

I don't remember seeing my mother quilt when I was small. I think with three kids and a huge summer garden she just crocheted a lot because it was something she could lay down and pick up again in a hurry. She must have quilted after we went to bed because we always had quilts on our beds and she made sheets out of flour sacks and picked out matching feed sacks for quilt backs and used the scraps for blocks. One winter her sister, Anna stayed with us and she had me pressing fabrics for a crazy quilt and I got interested. I still have the quilt and it is absolutely the worst workmanship you ever saw, but its still warm and comforting. Years later after the kids were grown my mom made quilts and I have about a dozen of them. I know my sister had some too but she is gone now and I suppose her son got those. I have been making quilts for many years and all my children and grandchildren have quilts that I have made. I think my maternal grandmother made quilts but she and my paternal grandmother had passed away before I was old enough to remember them.