View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM
roguequilter

i too love Boo...& i too have some furry quilt friends...have so many great pics now i should start a page of them...they have so many helpful ideas! LOLLOL

but i too use a hoop...a round one and an oval one or a scroll frame from my needlepoint days that i have attached muslin to [the 'rails']. the scroll frame is my fav one for pillows or wall hangings esp mini's - my preferred quilting project. have spinal disease and cannot sit at floor frame of any kind. i use old platform rocker that i can lean back in - support frame in my lap w/legs supported by stool. have tried recliner but angle seems wrong...at any rate i can't seem to quilt well in one.

i have done several bed sized quilts with my oval hoop ~18". use smaller round for corners.

i have antique c-clamp frame that rests on back of chairs. i pin layers on and then baste w/needle & thread every 3" working from cntr out. if kingsized quilt [like one i am working on now...i roll sides in few turns [after pinning layers to frame] till i can reach the cntr comfortably. use square grid method - working out in both directions - lengthwise then crosswise. when first started quilting many yrs ago used the method proposed by gwen marsten and joe cunningham in one of thier early books. that is...start corner to corner across cnter and then grid. it seemed to stretch it - so just the grid now. for smaller projects i c-clamp backing to my sewing table, then cntr batt and top and tape down edges [freezer tape works best...no residue] start in cnter again and then release tapes clamps and move whole up or down to finish the basting.

there are so!! many wonderful ideas and helps here to your post ...most any way you decide will work. it just has to work for you. i don't wander in here often...not much time for pc stuff, but when i can i come here and never fail to learn or be inspired...what a wonderful home away from home for quilters!