Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by wildyard
GailG, Please tell me what you used as your sashing and for the backing in your quilt. It sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
I used a good quality 100% woven fabric. The school t-shirt fabric was primary colors of crayons all in a row. All of the colors pulled in the different colors of the school shirts. For the t-shirt I gifted my SIL, I used a good quality 100% cotton plaid which pulled in the colors of the shirts. This last shirt quilt that is still a top :lol: , I used a khaki colored cotton solid. These shirts are those obtained on vacations over the years and couple of school shirts.

What I did was plan the size of the shirt blocks and then cut the sashing that length. To apply the shirt to the sashing, I pinned the two ends of the seam and then a couple of places in between. I did more pinning than I usually do, but it was worth the effort. To stitch, I placed the sashing on top and the shirt near the feed dogs. This allowed the feed dogs to ease in if there was any stretch. It really works well.

Go to the top of the page and click on Search. type in Gailg's T- shirt quilt. The second quilt I made will come up (It was the second item when I did it.) It was sent in by a qb friend because I am "computer challenged."