View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
MiMi in Lutz

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
I recently bought the Featherweight 221, and the other Singer I have is the Singer 6267 which I bought new around 1984 or so.

I've read lots of negatives on the later Singer machines, and I'm wondering when Singer quit making great machines.

Do any of you have Singers that you are happy with? I know we are all happy with our Featherweights.......but I'm curious about the others.

Incidentally, I also have the Baby Lock Ellageo ESG3. It was quite pricey, but all plastic.
In my 'opinion' Singer made fantastic sewing machines until they started making the Touch and Sew Machines. I had a little green machine they made in the early-sixties that was fantastic. Then got a Touch and Sew and it sure was not as good as that little green machine. Since then I have had Vikings. My first Viking was fantastic (a Viking 1) Six months ago I bought a Viking Sapphire 875 for quilting...and it is not near as good as my first Viking. I also now have 2 Singer Featherweights that I love and wonderful Singer 301 that will outwork any machine I think. It is really a workhorse. So, I agree, somewhere in the70's the Singers changed...in my opinion. But they were awesome in the 30's 40's and 50's and 60's. I also have a Baby Lock Ellure Plus now that I love!