View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Wunder-Mar

I had to do something with over 20 linear feet of quilting magazines, so I sorted all by magazine name with a MISC pile of special issues and oddball mags. Then I sat down next to my printer/fax/scanner/copier and made a copy of only those patterns and templates (and articles) I really liked ... sorting them into STARS, CHRISTMAS, HALLOWEEN, APPLIQUE, BASKETS, FOUNDATION ... you get the idea. This left the magazines intact; I was able to sell many of the older magazines by lot/bundles (one year of a single magazine's subscription was one lot/bundle). The rest I gave to a local residential organization who is teaching umarried mothers to become self-sufficient; the organzation's residents make crafts and quilts of all kinds and sells them locally, often on consignment, and at local festivals and fairs to raise money for the organization (who splits the proceeds with the maker/resident). I also gave several bundles to my guild's freebie table and to the local library.

Regarding copyright law, I made one copy of what I wanted to keep for myself; I do not share these patterns and do not make additional copies. Copyright law permits this, and courts uphold that the duplication of templates is quite permissible.