View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Connie Merritt

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I know I'm reallllly gonna ruffle some feathers here with this reply but I do think modernazation (is that a word) is taking alot out of quilting. Not so much the tools & the sewing machines because that is all I have ever known but the long arms. Sure I'd love to have one but will not allow myself to go to that extent. If you go to quilt shows now, almost 90% of the quilts are all done by long arms & it really really takes the creativity out of quilting. A really good piecer can put a top together & then send it off to a really good machine quilter but let me tell you, I have been going to quilt shows since 1992 & there is NO comparason to the quilts now & the quilts back in 1992. More of them were done by one persons creativity. Now it's who pays the most to their favorite long arm quilter. I know several long arm quilters & have only had 2 quilts done by them. It's just not the same as if you had done it all yourself. I feel like I'm cheating. I now see how my aunt felt going to the quilt shows. She hated it when machine pieced quilts were first allowed! So the old is the best for me!
I agree with you. The old way was inventive, creative, loved, and included hours of prep. sewing/finishing. Can you imagine how the then quilters put quilts together while today we have books, patterns, templates, elec mach, pre-cut bindings, etc. I do enjoy seeing the new-way and the very artistic quilts as they are beautiful. I love to look at the past way of quilting and imagine the hours and love a quilter placed in each quilt.