View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
burnsk

Just another idea re: class instructors. I have taught basic quilting classes. Sometimes I did it during my regular working hours, while I was "on the clock". Didn't like doing it that way because I was on someone else's time. I preferred doing it while I was on my own time and I got a percentage of the class fee. I liked the second option better for me and I think it was more advantageous for the shop, too. It brought customers in, they bought fabric and we weren't confined by time constraints. Some people work faster or are more experienced at quilting. You can't make someone feel uncomfortable because they are slower. So if a class is scheduled to run from 1-3, understand that you may be there until 4.

Another suggestion if you decide to sell sewing machines: Have one available so someone could could be working on a project that you sell the pattern for. That always generates sales. I like to sew at the LQS sometimes just for the comradarie. And if their machine is being used they tell me to bring my own and "come on down". :thumbup: