Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
#1piecemaker

I can only tell you how I do it. I am not a professional by any means but have quilted around thirty in the hoop. I use a wooden hoop that is 18 by 26 inch oval. You lay our you backing in the floor with right side down. Next place your batting on. Then put you top on. Top up. Pin with quilters safety pins. (regular ones work) I just like the curve in the quilter's pins. It doesn't take too many just enough to hold everything in place til you get started good. Take them out as you go. Place Hoop in the middle of the quilt. the inside hoop goes under the quilt and the outer ring goes on top. Then you gently pull it till backing is smooth with no wrinkles. This is easily done up on the hoops side. pull downwards. Then just start quilting, moving your hoop as you need to. Work outwards from the center all the way around. It is very easy and can be done while sitting in any chair. I like my recliner where I can prop up my feet on foot rest. You can turn the hoop however you need it to work. Hope this helps you.