Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Kara

This is what I use...
http://hinterberg.com/prod-22__Hoop_...Stand-196.aspx

It's a hoop on a stand that tilts and pivots. Loved it when I was learning (couldn't quilt in all directions) and still love it. Biggest complaints, having the quilt on the floor and the cats finding it a nice place to lay....

I have a quilting hoop without a stand (lap quilt), but the big one with the stand supports the weight of a large quilt. I've completed up to 96" square on it. If a thread runs close to a side and and the quilting design doesn't stop, I drop the thread and pick it up with I move the hoop.

If purchased mine with the gooseneck attachment and the half-hoop attachment (for edges - not as necessary if your leave lots of extra backing and baste the edges well).

I have (out in the wood shop) an antique quilt frame that's wide, but not too deep. My step-father bought it at an estate auction of $1. It has some split pieces, so hubby's going to fix it. Not in much of a rush, because the size just prohibits it from use. Too bad the idea of a parlor has gone out, that would have been a fantastic place to sit it and leave it.... I just need to work on getting half the garage converted.

OK, I'm done rambling. Don't know if I helped much.

Happy quilting,
Kara