View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
hulahoop1

Originally Posted by AnnieF
My husband who is a serious sports junky (baseball, football)….years ago…..in February when his favorite sports were not on TV, asked me to give up quilting as it took time away from “our marriage”. He wanted to spend more time with me (and yes, he sits in front of the TV a lot!!) and if I wasn’t actually machine stitching in my quilt studio, I was hand sewing or reading about it or shopping for fabric and he wanted it to stop. So I told him….”of course honey, if it’s for our marriage, of course I would give up my passion…..I would stop quilting, sewing and reading about it….you only have to do one thing for me…for the sake of our marriage……give up baseball…watching it on TV, playing in the summer, reading about it on the sports page and attending games in person!”……He looked at me with a gaping mouth, closed it, turned around and left the room and it’s the last time he has mentioned my quilting as a deterrent to our marriage....and he has gotten more tolerant...
I did something similar to my DH. We lived together for 3 years before we married (27 years ago!!) When I moved in, he sat me down and told me how much my portion of the rent, utilities, groceries, etc. that I was going to pay. When he was finished, I very calmly said that that was fine, however, my hourly rate for housecleaning, doing laundry, cooking, and bedroom frolics, etc. was equal to what he was charging me." Not another word was said and, to this day, our finances are separate.