View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Pickles

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
What I have read that has always kept me away from sheets was regarding the sheet's tight weave. Apparently since the weave is so tight your machine needle could actually be puncturing the threads and breaking them instead of sliding between the threads like on quilting fabric. I don't know this to be fact so don't quote me on it, but the thought of it scares me enough that I just buy muslin for backing on quilts that are okay with a plain back.
The reason I use the sheets is this: Look at your sheets the Tops and Bottoms are hemmed when you buy them and if you
ever get the chance to take a look at some sheets even as for back as the 60's are beyond you will never see any of them frayed at the hem 's where they where sewn by a needle, they
might fray from allot of use at the fold line but never at the actual
sewing lines where the needle went thought the fabric of the sheets. So this tells me that any needle I use to go through them is not going to harm that sheet are my quilt as a whole.
The LQS. well tell you it will because they want to gain the sale of the wide fabric at a wide price, thats why there in
business to make money, not agree that buying the sheets will
do you just fine instead.Just my opinion :-D