Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by purplemem
No, I have tried Splenda in cooking and it was awful when I used it, too. I made banana bread with it and actually threw the bread out!

I have been reducing the sugar in my recipes by half, some times it works. I also substitute 1/2 applesauce for cooking oil in baking.

Again, sometimes it works.
wow... I've used Splenda in cooking - bread making in the bread machine... and it works for me. I think it works best in foods where you don't use some much sugar to begin with. For instance, I'd prob. not use it to make sugar cookies. But I'd try it for Oatmeal cookies. I've used it in whole wheat or oatmeal bread machine bread making... but I'd not try it in a heavy sweat bread... like banana bread, after reading purplemem's experience!

I use Stevia too. Stevia is different, has more fiber since it's a ground up plant. You have to be really careful, cause it will not dissolve anywhere near as fast as sugar, and it settles to the bottom of whatever wet stuff you mix it in. It also has an aftertaste, but not unpleasant.

One last thing... there are two kinds of Stevia! VERY Important! The stuff you get at the grocery store, is made with fillers so that a single pack of Stevia about equals the sweetness of a packet of sugar. BUT BUT BUT!!!! If you get your Stevia powder from a health food store, it's not cut.. it's full strength. And let me tell you... less than a 32nd of a teaspoon, a small dusting... is enough to over sweeten a tall glass of iced tea. It's really, really potent.