View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
mac

Alex Anderson did a quilt called "Pushing Neutrals" and it is full of creams and whites - no real colors just different shades of tone on tone creams and whites. Her quilting was spectacular and the quilt was quite beautiful. It was one of her earlier quilts. I've seen it many times as she belongs to our guild. (Ever notice how some people start out great and just keep getting better as time goes on?)

Besides a well-known quilter using creams and whites - the one thing that I always believe is this:

There are no rules in quilting other than making 1/4 inch seams and closing your rotary cutter after each use. Other than that, if it looks good together and you like - it works.

To make my point even pointier: Remember when the quilt judges turned their noses up to machine-quilting? Then along came Harriet Hargrave with her fantastic machine-quilted quilts, who one blue ribbons for her work, and suddenly everyone was standing in line learning to machine quilt. Now most of the quilts in a quilt show are machine-quilted verses hand-quilted.

The rules change all of the time, so why not get to the front of the line and start your way of doing it? Who knows you might become an 'well-known' quilter yourself!