View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 AM
jetnica

Originally Posted by LaineyBelle
I Love the turtle quilt! It so cute. I went to your blog, and I see you have an embroidery machine too. We buy designs at the same place. EmbLibrary. Its a great place.
What I wanted to ask you was, what you you do with the silkies that you made? What are the little loops for? I have not seen that before, very cute!
The silkies are just little security blankies -- those are 12" square. Gerber used to make them with a big silk ruffle on the edge and sell them about 8 years ago. My older nephew (the one who's turtle stuff is in the turtle quilt) LOVED his, and when my sister in law was pregnant, he wrote a note to the baby and gave him (the new baby) his silky. -- It made EVERYONE cry at the baby shower.

Nate - the older nephew - would rub the silkies under his nose constantly. They went EVERYWHERE and he had like 6. Some how he only wound up with 2. One went to new nephew, and the other went to another baby cousin in the family (who might be born this week!)

Anyway, the new nephew - Jacob - can't sleep without a silky on his face. It's funny how they both "need" the silky, but in such different ways. I've made a few for Jacob, as Gerber doesn't sell them any more. I tried with the big silk ruffle, but I couldn't get the corners right. Jacob likes to suck on noses and tags and such, so this round of silkies I added the ribbon loops for him to suck on.

It's been trial and error with this project. Thankfully, the baby is happy with the silk/flannel combo, and the rest is just there for now.

=)