Thread: cutting gloves
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM
georgiat

Wow! : ) I do wear one and no, I'm not a klutz! I don't use theirs however. After a little "accident" I went online, found them priced by the dozen from an industrial supply company and bought enough for all my friends. I think there are only 2 who actually use them now though. Let me tell you the story.......... I always have something to work on at my lunch break. Well, one day I was cutting out a small template when the rotary cutter jumped the edge and cut right through about 1/3 of my middle finger, nail and all! It was done in the blink of an eye! I called my employer and told him he needed to come back early to stitch my finger, which he did (3 stitches). It only takes a minute or a slight distraction to have this happen! Was it bulky and hot? Yes, but I kind of like my fingertips! It's the same as using a thimble, it just takes time and persistence then it's just another tool to use. It just becomes second nature!You don't have to use an expensive one though. You can go to the fishing department in many stores and purchase a filet glove. Same thing. The key is they are made of kevlar fibers so you really do get a great deal of protection. I purposely tried to cut mine when they came in. I COULD nick it, but could not CUT it! It's the old once of prevention pound of cure scenario!