Thread: FMQ disaster
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Baloonatic

My first time quilting on my domestic machine was in a 2-day class taught by Jill Schumacher. I went home wondering if I shouldn't bother returning for the next day's lessons. But come the morning it was AMAZING how many of the ladies in the class discovered a new-found skill!! It seems that the stumbling frazzling attempts we made the first day created 'muscle memory' and our second day's work was AWESOME!
Consider joining one of your local guilds. For 2 years I've been driving 60 miles twice a month to quilt my guild's community quilts on a longarm and I'm having a ball! My technique has improved so much, I'm discovering and creating new motifs and methodology, and I've helped to LA quilt over 500 quilts a year for my guild's projects! There are a LOT of warmer, happier kids out there now!
BTW, are you using quilter's gloves like Machingers on your home machine? Do you have a large bed attachment or does your machine sit down into a table? The larger the flat area, the easier to work. Also, if you get a Sew Slip sheet designed to eliminate the friction on your bed while quilting, you'll be amazed how much easier it is to move your work around.