Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM
barnbum

Originally Posted by mypatookis
Your quilts are just beautiful! I am trying to figure out if you are using the same fabric for all of the blocks. I can find some fabric in all, but it seems like you are using different ones in some? It is hard for me to choose fabric for my quilts, so any help you could give me for one like yours would be much appreciated! :-D
Just gorgeous!! :thumbup:
MMIJAdotCom, this will also answer your question.

Wellllll, the big quilt I did with these blocks had over 65 different fabrics in it. ;) I have ladders with strips hanging on them, and I hold each block side up to the strips--moving it to find the perfect next piece. I do with this every block, every time. Every strip is a decision. With the 12 blocks I just finished, with some strip additions there may be only three different fabrics being used, but then again there could be six different fabrics laying at the machine with the blocks it will be sewed to. The "light" side has much fewer options, so I'll even repeat some there. I try to go lighter to darker with the florals, but don't always follow that with the lights, but I usually do. There are exceptions.

There was one of the new blocks that had a fabric I felt was not lighter than the previous one it was next to, and I had to talk myself into not ripping it off and putting on a new. :roll:

I feel in order to get the effect I want, I need a LOT of fabrics to choose from.

Okay--I just counted. There are 66 different floral fabrics hanging, and 14 lights. I use some florals a lot more than others. I have two on-line orders due this week, and a few florals in the dryer right now from shopping last week. I'm always looking for good ones. I buy a yard at first, then if I find I use it a lot, I try to get more. It's always a little panicky when I run low on a floral or light I love. Sometimes I'll go nuts and get 3 more yards of one I love--and when strips are at 1" or 1.5" that will last a long long time. :lol:

You can see I'm committed to making many many more blocks.... for a variety of projects. I think the doll quilts are my favorite, but I know gaigai would disagree. :lol:

Hope this helps...