View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Lizzygail

Originally Posted by midwestqltr
Truly a beautiful space for your mom and you to share creativity. May I ask where you got your fabric shelves?
I built them myself - There are three 3x8 foot units.

I used 3/4 inch high grade plywood (finished on both sides). I wanted 14-16 inch storage so to make the best use of the sheet of plywood, I made the units 16" deep. This allowed me to get the 6 sides out of 2 full sheets.
Since I knew ahead of time that I was also going to build a 12" deep cabinet style design board, I did a 12"x8' cut on 5 sheets (to be used as sides/shelves on the cabinet) and the remaining 3x8' board worked out to 6 16"x36" fabric shelves per board. I decided on 36" rather than 48" shelves hoping that they would not sag...time will tell! The fabric is wrapped around an 8" ruler and allows a little 'wiggle' room for the 4 stacks per shelf.

I used 1x2 pine to support the shelves; 1x4 for trim on bottom/between shelf sections and 1x3 trim on top to hide the top of the units and to give it a finished look tying the three together.

Probably more information than you wanted or needed, but in case anyone else is curious or wants to build something similar, decided to 'go for it' and tell you how they came to be!