View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
gale

I can see where Scissor Queen is coming from. You say the 'bought' boards are an unnecessary item (complete with !). For some people like me, who cannot cut cardboard out easily, they are necessary. For people concerned about acid leaching, or for people whose stores do NOT give out the empty bolts for free, or people who don't want to collect old campaign signs or wait until after an election, they are necessary. It's fine to present it as a hint but that's not how it looks to some people-it's more of a 'you used this or that and you paid for it and it's so unnecessary'.

Originally Posted by shequilts
SQ
'Sorry you find my hint to be so insulting. It really has nothing to do with you. If you will scroll through the dozens of posts, you'll see most people think it a good idea.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You implied that it was somehow wrong to spend money on boards to store fabric when you can use something free and how that's unnecessary. It may not be what you intended but when you look down your nose at something somebody uses it is insulting.

SQ
I believe you read something I didn't write. I actually asked a question: "why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on?" I then told about my method of storage and mentioned that it was free. Free is good!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
I attached a couple of pics to clarify what I mean.
To be honest this is sort of an insult. To tell someone a product they use is unnecessary just because you don't use it is kind of insulting. Just because you don't use it, need it or want it doesn't mean nobody else should use it, need it or want it.