Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
I'm with you. When I started reading about "scant 1/4" seams, meaning one or two threads less than my 1/4 foot, I laughed. My points sometimes don't meet, the squares are sometimes two or three or 10 threads off and somehow the quilts still come together and when they are quilted, they look good enough to get oohs and ahhs from my family and the people who get them as gifts. More important, the quilts will keep you warm when the temperature is 18 degrees, which it is right now.

Quilting, for most of us, is for fun and perfection is only a miniscule part of the equation--if it is any part.