View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by sew4fun
Okay, the flax seed they have at WalMart is called milled flax seed. Not sure what that means. It is $1.87 for 12 ounces. So sort of pricy.
Milled means that it was ground or hulled (had hulls removed) by a machine while at the mill. You are right, that does sound pricey for flaxseed. I buy mine from Fred Myers, a grocery store/department store all rolled up into one. They were doing the super store idea decades before it became popular. They have organic flaxseed in bulk. If I had to guess, I would say it isn't milled because I have to check it over pretty carefully. I pull out small bits of flaxseed stems and small (micro-small) rocks. I've heard Costco will sometimes carry it but ours just opened here and I haven't seen it yet. When I do, I plan to buy a lot! WinCo also carries flax seed in bulk. And I haven't tried it but I'm guessing if you Google 'flaxseed suppliers' you will find several on-line sites that will sell it to you.

I must admit I am curious. I've never heard of using flaxseed instead of rice. I am going to have to make one of these and I think I'll give the flaxseed a try, especially if there is no odor. I love the smell of rice but I work in a Chinese Restaurant and I eat rice almost every day of the week. I think a neckbag out of rice would only cause me to be hungry. :lol: The flaxseed might work better for me. Is there a difference in the comfort factor over the rice?
Piece ~ Tiffany