View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
KwiltyKahy

That is exactly what I have been talking about this week. Joann's is opening stores all over the place, but in places that already have fabric available. Seems to me that more stores in small towns would be a better idea. Makes me wonder why the execs at these companies don't think like that. In our area when Walmart started doing away with their fabric departments, the first to go were in the places that didn't have anywhere else in the area to buy fabric and basic notions. I would love to see companies return to the notion of offering a service!! Probably not in my lifetime.
Originally Posted by dyer804
Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
Yes, most department stores sold fabric! I bought the fabric for my wedding gown in 1969 at Macy's in Sacaramento. Mervyn's, a popular chain in the west, out of business now, sold fabric when I worked their in 1980. Wards, Sears, Penney's, and many other stores all had fabric. In fact, I learned to sew using 4 yards for $1 fabric from Penney's. It's hard to believe that we went from nearly everyone selling fabric and sewing notions to almost no one! One of my favorite travel stories took place about a year and a half ago. My husband and I were staying in Brian Head, Utah while visiting national parks and would drive into Cedar City to get groceries, gas, etc. While my husband was filling gas, I noticed a sign that said "Fabrics". I hadn't even started quilting yet, but have always been a sewer! I walked back up the street to find a hardward/fabric store. While the hardware portion was much larger than the fabric portion, they had a very nice selection of fabrics and notions. My husband and I both agreed that it was a store that we could both enjoy shopping at. I'm surprised that more small towns don't try this combination. I think it would be quite successful!