Old 02-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blinky
Hi Lesley,

I am like you...would like to enter a quilt in a Show for once but can't seem to get one finished that I could enter. I was wondering if the judges would except a quilt done with the technique we are using for DJ as far as quilting it in the layers like we are or will do it in. I would think it would be more excepted if it were done with hand quilting in the ditch? I don't know...I am new at this. I really like your technique! I do think my hand quilting stitches improved with different batting. I used a real thin batting last time. Hobbs Thermore. It is so thin it is like not having anything in-between. You can get your backing stitches better! I don't know what I will use next...I have some Quilters Dream that I have never used and people say it is wonderful for hand quilting. I think it is queen size....so my question is for the technique we are using for DJ will there be more waste of batting? I am thinking that if you are careful you won't really waste? I will have to check measurements on the Queen batting that I have and also the measurement on the DJ quilt to see if it will be enough. Worst case I could go ahead and start with this Quilter's Dream batting and if I run out just get more...and that will work because I will be just using it in pieces. I am thinking out loud Lesley :roll: You know what I think you may need to patent your technique :thumbup:
Elizabeth, I doubt very much if I have had a totally new idea with the quilting, there is bound to be someone else out there that did it before me = this quilt just seemed to be suited to doing it this way. The only drawback to me was to have to tidy up the back of the top, by sewing the edges of the batting together, but at least it could be roughly done as it will never be seen.

Patti, I get what you mean! What a good idea - so we shouldn't be penalised for having less quilting on the back compared to the front. I suppose I will have to be a pioneer and test out the theory.