View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by bettyrasm
I talked to my mother in law(I'm so lucky) and children. Some of them live in larger towns than I do and they said they will check yard sales and estate sales for fabric and call me and I think that should help.
BTW DID YOU KNOW THERE IS A 250% MARKUP FROM WHOLESALE ON FABRIC?????? Maybe it should be less????
Basics economics: Supply down, price up;supply up price down. Only the consumer can adjust that.
No shop I know uses a 250% markup. Most LQS's with B&M stores use a 100% markup for new, just introduced fabric lines. That is and has for many years been the standard markup. Many online stores use a 80% or less markup. Then you start discounting, giving free shipping, etc etc and paying your expenses. When you're all done you're lucky if you clear enough to pay for the fabric.

Oh, and here's some more basic economic facts as they relate to the current cotton products situation: Since the world-wide supply (and it is a world-wide market) for cotton is at it's all-time low in relation to steadily increasing demand, prices are up, way up, and they won't be going down any time soon.

Since the market in cotton broadcloth for quilting represents a very minuscule percentage of a worldwide market, for cotton that has a huge gap between supply and demand, any boycott, slowdown in purchasing etc would be highly unlikely to have any positive impact on prices. Every single quilter in the world could totally quit buying fabric and it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the price of cotton, due to the fact that there is so much unmet demand out there for cotton in other products.