Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
cookiej36

When I first read this thread, I really thought it would die out rather quickly! I was very surprised to see that it is still being discussed.

I happen to own Cheri's book "City Quilts". I bought it for inspiration more than for the patterns or the instruction as many of the quilts in the book are simple pieced blocks that anyone with any quilting knowledge (beginner or experienced)could sew.

When I first read the original question posed in this thread, my thoughts were that's exactly what I was thinking. Many of the patterns available now have what I perceive as "hard instructions" when I can look at it and know that there is an easier way. With that being said, I also know that there are many quilters who don't have that ability and that's okay. We all have "our easy way" of doing things but that doesn't mean one way is better than the other.

I believe the question was posed for discussion only and I might be considered forward, but I didn't see any malintent on the part of the RST nor any of her responses. In fact, I believe the name of the QAL or the author wasn't even mentioned by her.

RST: I will say that when I attempted to press my seams open as directed by the anonymous blogger/pattern writer, my tops did seem to lay flatter. Do I do it that way all the time? No because it's tedious and time consuming and like you, I like the easier/faster way. I'm all about instant gratification and I have no problems admitting that about myself! I have to see the finished product asap!