Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
RST

To have a preference, one has to have the awareness that there is an option. Hence my question in the first place.

I too am surprised that this thread continues -- though I would have thought it would go in different directions, say, that certain publishers encourage or discourage their authors from promoting methods that require the purchase of rulers and cutting boards. Do they? Sometimes I have wondered.

Or that it could be a regional thing, with people in the midwest holding fast to the venerable traditions of the craft, while upstarts in the West, and Australia, for pity's sake, take to doing wild things and slapping quilts together with no regard for the decorum of process. Oh, wait, I learned to strip piece while I lived in Michigan, and that's pretty midwestern. And unless the quilt board folks are fibbing on their location statuses, that doesn't hold true.

Maybe a generational thing? Hipsters follow the bloggers?

Whatever. That's apparently not the direction the conversation was destined to go.

To above poster -- you are correct. Strip piecing does not lend itself well to hand work. It could be done, maybe. But it would not be fun or pretty or very efficient. It's a technique that is born of the modern world of tight, regular, quick machine stitching. But that's not to say that you can't piece some very tradtional looking blocks out of vintage fabrics using the method.

RST