Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
bev195000

Originally Posted by RST
An informed choice is one thing -- the experienced quilter who has tried several ways, and has found what they like, knows what floats their boat, and makes a choice based on their preferences -- that, I will never argue with.

But not even knowing that there might be a faster or easier way to do something, and not having the intellectual curiosity to at least consider what the benefits might be to another method -- that does puzzle me.

I think that in some cases (not saying anyone in particular) there are people gifted in design and graphics who have made their way into the world of quilting, either via paper arts or computer graphics or fabric design. They make quilts. People like their quilts because they are graphically gifted, and their style feels current and fresh. But they do not necessarily come into quilting with a lot of technical knowledge or depth of methodology. So when they write patterns or teach or do tutorials, they are not necessarily giving the most considered or well plotted approach.

All this is theory on my part. And as I said, I attach no names to any of this. And I appreciate the "new" quilters and the modern look, and the energy and enthusiasm.

And, back to first post -- I find myself wondering if they don't know any different way, or if it's a conscious decision, because they find it relaxing to cut out 495 1.5 inch square accurately. ; )

RST
I have been quilting for over 2 years and i do know how to quilt in different ways but i chose to cut squares individually and sew one by one and that to me is not BORING it is my choice of quilting