View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
mimisue

One of my grandaughters started at about 2yrs old sewing on my lap. She loved it so much that she continued sewing on my lap until about 5yrs old. Then I sat next to her and controlled the foot pedal but she controlled the material. I taught her to use scissors, and little pieces of fabric to sew off onto to controlling the thread just as I do. Before long she wanted to use the foot pedal as well. Somewhere I read to roll up a sock and stuff in between the footpedal so she could press down very far, as well as taping the pedal to a small stool so she could reach it. She sewed that entire summer that way and when she turned 6 she was tall enough for me to take the pedal off the stool and also lose the sock controlling the amount she could press down. She did great ! She is very responsible and can't wait till we live closer so she can sew more often. I say as many have already done---buy her a full size machine--or let her use yours. My dear Emily has always sewn on my expensive Pfaff and I have never regretted letting her do so.