View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
My eldest daughter(Anna 13) uses my maching an ellure plus.
I have a soon to be 8 yr old (Eimly) that is interested in what Im doing. I waited till Anna was 12 before I let her sew, and it was on a Singer from the 70's.

My old Singer, has issues.
I have read on here about how some of you are letting your girls about Emilys age sew already and that they do well.
She wants to sew, and I am attaching her "quilt" that she taped together from my scraps.
My question is there a kid friendly machine that works well?
I have seen the Hello Kitty ones, but I worry that I am paying for the license on the character and not getting a quality machine.
Part of me is scared to death to let her quilt. What if she loses a finger! LOL I know, overbearing. But I don't want to miss this oppurtunity to catch her while she is really interested in this hobby.
I think the problem is more with the grandmother than the child. My DGD started sewing with her own machine when she was 5. It is a Viking Viva, an $800 machine I got for $500. She is now 12 and can do anything with it. My other DGDs are 10 and 6 and also sew. I even let them use my expensive machines with little worry that they can hurt themselves or the machine. You just have to show them how to "drive" it and not get their fingers under the presser foot.