View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
vschieve

I was home awhile, switched into a long sleeved non flannel nightgown just to get out of my day clothes. Planned to stay home, cut out a pattern and cook. Well first I decided to look for some fabric and while going through my stash got too warm; long sleeves had to go. Short sleeved tee shirt dress is the attire at the moment; windows are open-wow it is so springlike. But I don't trust it one bit; we have been known to have late freezes come after the peach trees in Stonewall and Fredericksburg have budded and the crop gets wiped out. Not good for the economy around there. A few years back we had snow in April, Easter Eve in fact. I have a picture on my computer at the office of a field of bluebonnets surrounding an oak tree, and a light blanket of white snow hanging on to the pretty bluebonnets. My grandmother told me once years ago back in the late 70's that when she was just a girl it snowed in April, and we are talking just 30 miles south of Austin. I thought to myself "not in my lifetime will I ever see that" and boy was I wrong. Had she still been living when that April snow fell she would have seen two snows in April in her lifetime! In 1949 we had a temperature of zero in this area; I was just two years old and my mother and aunt took pictures of me in front of a field of solid white on the farm where my grandmother and grandpa lived, which was just down the road from us. Memories...boy am I long winded tonight!