Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
spiffy

I learned many years ago that it is very difficult to sell a handmade product and make a profit.

Selling a service however, is a different story. If you can find a way to use your quilting expertise and sell a service, you can probably make some money.

I taught ballroom dancing for over 20 years and enjoyed every day of it. I had a day job working in the home dec section of House of Fabrics. When I retired, using the knowledge I gained, I've built a website on home decorating and am now making a good monthly income.

I have friends who have built websites about quilting, sewing, embroidery and drawing and are doing well with them.
You don't have to be a computer genius these days to build a website.

It's a matter of finding out what service people want and what they are willing to pay for. Many people do well running classes in local craft shops or even their own homes. Jewelry making, scrapbooking, both physical and digital, and felting are the big draws in our area right now.

Selling a service is much more fun (not that there aren't some bad days) and not nearly as stressful as producing a product.