View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 PM
samifel

Originally Posted by pkary
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Blue Cheese dressing??? What is wrong with BLUE CHEESE dressing?? We are having so many health problems because what we eat too many preservatives and genetically altered foods. More kids are ADHD and autistic. It is the environment.
No, I think we are having too many health problems because kids can't just go outside anymore, an adult with them is really very necessary. And, we try to keep our houses so sanitized kids do not develop any resistance to anything! As kids we, of the early baby boomers, ran wild all summer. We left the house about 8 am and no adult really knew where we were until the gong rang about 5 to get home for supper. The "big" kids - those 8 or so and up, watched out for the little kids - those as young as 2 and no one was allowed to stay in the house all day. And, heaven help any kid who thought they would try to bully a kid in "our gang!"

Times have certainly changed for sure. However, I think, in our quest to keep our kids safe, we have allowed too much freedom to be taken away from them. Mothers, or Dads, are not at home afterschool, toys are too educational to be much fun, and we've let family dinnertime slip away. There really is no such thing as "quality time" that can make up for "just chillin" time - one on one, with your kids. It really is the time you spend with your kids, not what you do together, that counts in the end.
I couldn't go out until 9:00 in the summer and had to be home at noon and again at 5:00 for meals. The Catholic Church in our town rang the bells at noon and again at 5:00. I could peddle my bike from anywhere in town and be in my house before the bells stopped.....or I was grounded and not allowed to go out the next day....a fate worse than death.